Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Running on fumes?

I just read an article posted on Forbes Entreprenuer a few months ago by Maureen Farrell titled "How To Run On Fumes."


While focused on what do do when you have more on your plate then seems doable, the main take-aways were around the health factor and the importance of eating healthy, working out and sleeping (although apparently working out means you need less sleep).


In my experience, in addition to the healthy factor, there are a few things that really help.

  1. Get focused. Figure out what in and what's out in your life and make the tough decisions. In my case, I was involved at a detailed level in several businesses. Getting focused meant I had to decide what my level of involvement was going to be and did I even need or want to be involved. One business was moved out of a storefront to completely online which dramatically reduced all kinds of distracting overhead (money and time) and significantly improving my ability to focus on other things.
  2. Delegate. Employees can't grow and learn if you keep doing all the work. Or as I like to say, "No one can step into a spot you are already occupying." On the home front, figure out if you can get a housekeeper or use an errand service. These things are often much more affordable then you might think and they free you up to spend time on more higher value things. I have personally gone back to using a housekeeper and this has reduced my worry about the basics around the house tremendously. Now, if someone would only come in and do my laundry I'd be set!
  3. Create routines and rituals. Wherever possible, create routines and socialize them with the appropriate people in your life. On the home front, having the kids go through the same bedtime routine at the same time every night greatly reduces the normal "run and chase" that is normally associated with the process. On the professional front, setting up repeatable tasks with assistants and employees starts creating good habits and make sure the critical things get taken care of without your constant babysitting. On the professional front, small rituals, such as 5 minutes listening to music and thinking of nothing, can greatly reduce stress and improve your feeling of well being.
  4. Keep in touch with friends. For me, this always seems to be the first thing that gets "cut" from the list. I can't always do "girls night out" but I can keep in touch with friends thanks to technology. A quick cell phone call, a "how are you" SMS text message, and email or even a 5 minute IM session keeps me in touch and from feeling isolated from my friends.
  5. Just let go. Give yourself a break. You can't do everything. Be sure to ask for help from others. Somethings are just going to have to slide... either cancel them or postpone them. But don't try to do it all at once. Sometimes laundry just has to wait.

No comments: