Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Failure… a vital part of success

Earlier I today I sent out this tweet:

Words to live by --> "The way to accelerate your success is to double your failure rate." - Tom Watson, Sr., Inventor & Asst to Alexander Graham Bell

As Marcus W. replied on LinkedIn: “How true that is. Failure = Knowledge = Wisdom.“

The search for an appropriate quote was actually inspired by one of my colleagues who said something along the lines of “Anything worth succeeding at is worth failing at” (or something like that, I am sure I don’t have it exactly right but I got the drift!).

Just in case it’s your day to be discouraged, here are some famous examples to keep you going…

  • Author Stephen King received 30 rejections for his book Carrie. He finally just gave up and threw it in the trash. Fortunately his wife pulled it out of the garbage and talked him into submitting it one more time.
  • Heard from one of Beethoven’s music teachers –> "as a composer he is hopeless."
  • Walt Disney was once fired from a newspaper because he "lacked imagination and had no original ideas."
  • Harrison Ford was told by the Vice President of Columbia Pictures that he was never going to make it in the business.
  • Oprah Winfrey was fired from her first television job because she was “unfit for TV.”

Being a classic overachiever, I wonder how fast success can be achieved by tripling my failure rate (Thanks for the encouragement, Ms. CE!!)?? I’ll keep you posted!

Don’t forget all the successes count… feel free to add up all the small ones!  And don’t forget to learn from the failures…

Enjoying ride… Maven

No comments: